Veterans Benefits

Veterans Educational Benefits are available to qualified Veterans, Dependents of Veterans, National Guard members, and Reserve members. To receive VA educational benefits, all recipients must be enrolled in an approved course of study. Benefits differ according to the Chapter of VA educational benefits for which the student qualifies. Students receiving VA educational benefits are responsible for registering only for courses that are included in their respective degree plans. Students receiving VA educational benefits must promptly notify the VA Certifying Official, located in the Office of Student Success when withdrawing from a class or all classes. Failure to do so may result in an overpayment from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The student is liable for the overpayment. To continue receiving VA educational benefits, Veterans must attend their scheduled classes. Instructors will report students who are excessively absent to the Office of Admissions and Records and VA benefits may be reduced accordingly. The Department of Veterans Affairs may require approximately 60 to 90 days to process educational benefits. As a result, Veterans should be prepared to pay tuition and fees at registration. Benefits differ according to the Chapter of VA educational benefits for which the student qualifies. For more information about benefits or to apply, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call at 1-888-442-4551. For issues regarding your benefits, submit a complaint to the VA GI Bill® Feedback System.

Before making an application for educational benefits, the Veteran must complete the following:

  • Step 1: An Application for Admissions to the College, Transcript Request Form(s) and send to high school and colleges attended, Transcript Request Form to request a GED transcript. Sit for the Compass Placement Assessment, if applicable
    Step 2: Report to the VA Certifying Official located in the Office of Financial Aid and submit the following documents:

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®) submit certified copy of DD214 form
Chapter 35 (Veteran Dependents) submit Certificate of Eligibility form
Chapter 1606 (Reserve or Guard) submit Notice of Basic Eligibility Form (NOBE)
Chapter 33–Post 9/11 Veterans submit Certificate of Eligibility
Chapter 31- Disabled Veterans submit Authorization and Certification Certificate

NOTE: Veterans benefits cannot be certified until meeting with the VA Certifying Official, at the College.

Veteran benefits cannot be received for courses previously passed unless an improved grade is required or for auditing courses. The Veteran will not be paid for courses in which an “I” (Incomplete) was previously received or for courses that are not a part of the declared major unless approved as a substitute for a required course by the appropriate Dean. All Veterans should contact the VA Certifying Official during registration in order to complete the proper forms for certification. If the enrollment period is temporarily interrupted, the VA Certifying Official will recertify when notification of re-enrollment is received from the Veteran.

Alabama G. I. Dependents Scholarship Program

The Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs offers financial assistance to eligible dependents of disabled Veterans (child, stepchild, spouse or unremarried widow or widower) who are living or deceased. Qualifying Veterans must meet the following qualifications to establish eligibility of his/her dependents:

MILITARY SERVICE An honorable discharge or other proof of honorable termination of service from the armed forces for a period of at least 90 consecutive days of active duty service or service less than 90 consecutive days of active duty service if the veteran or serviceman was discharged or released by reason of qualifying service-connected disability.

DISABILITY REQUIREMENT The veteran must meet one of the following service-connected disability conditions established by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (formerly the Veterans Administration) or the appropriate military service department: a) b) c) d) A former prisoner of war (POW); or Declared missing in action (MIA); or Died as the result of a service-connected disability; or Died while on military service in the line of duty; or e) Rated 40% or more due to his/her service-connected disability(ies).


  1. The veteran must have been a permanent civilian resident of the state of Alabama for at least one year immediately prior to their initial entry into active federal military service or any subsequent entry into federal active military service where a 12-month break in service occurred

AND one of the following:

  1. Current Alabama resident for at least two years immediately prior to the date of application for this benefit or date of veteran’s death; or
  2. Current resident who was discharged from active duty within 12 months prior to the date of the scholarship application; or
  3. Filed a resident Alabama income tax return for the past 10 consecutive years.
  1.  Permanently service-connected veterans rated at 100% who do not meet the above residency requirements may qualify after establishing proof that they have been a bona fide resident for at least five years immediately prior to the date of application or the date of the veteran’s death. This applies to 100% permanent and total ratings only.

The Alabama G. I. Dependents Scholarship Program does not pay for non-credit courses, transitional (remedial) courses, placement testing, GED preparation, continuing education courses, pre-technical courses, state board examinations, and or any classes beyond undergraduate courses of study. In addition, the G. I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program will only pay for those textbooks (including ebooks and access codes) that are required for the courses in which the student is officially enrolled. The program does not pay for the purchase of reference manuals, suggested reading materials, study guides, recommended workbooks, etc. 

For additional information about the Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship Program please visit their website at

Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program (ANGEAP)
The Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program (ANGEAP) is designed to provide financial assistance to Alabama National Guard members. For additional information and applications, the National Guard member should contact his/her National Guard Unit.

Veterans Educational benefits include Chapters 30, 1606, and 35. Chapter 1606 is reserved for National Guard and Reserve members. Under these programs, the student receives an allowance directly from the government; the student is responsible for paying tuition and fees to the College.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) covers tuition and fees which are paid directly to the College (according to the percentage of eligibility of the veterans). The student will also receive a housing allowance and books stipend. The student is still responsible for paying any remaining balance. For more information, please visit the Veteran Education Benefits website.

Chapter 35 covers Dependent Survivor benefits. Students receive payment based on enrollment. Funds are paid directly to the student.

Full-time VA Educational benefits will be awarded to a student who enrolls for a minimum of 12 semester hours in his/her VA-approved program of study. Awards for students enrolled less than full-time will be decreased proportionately. Students wishing to receive veteran benefits must have their schedules approved by the VA Counselor to assure that their courses are in the approved program of study.