Transfer Students

Transfer Student: A student who has attended another college or university prior to enrolling at WCCS is considered a transfer student. For unconditional admission and to be classified as degree eligible, applicants must have on file at the institution a completed application for admission, in-state residency certification, the primary form of identification, official high school transcript or GED certificate, and official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions. Transfer students may be conditionally admitted pending receipt of official transcripts. Failure to submit official transcripts by the end of the first semester of enrollment will prevent future registration and release of official WCCS transcripts.

Initial Academic Status of Transfer Students

  1. An initial academic status will be determined once all official transcripts are received and reviewed by Admissions and Records staff. Reporting of incomplete or false information on the application for admission may result in the immediate removal from classes and forfeiture of all tuition, fees, and other monies.
  2. A transfer student whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the transfer institution(s) is at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale will be admitted on clear academic status.
  3. A transfer student who’s cumulative GPA at the transfer institution(s) is less than 2.0 on a 4.0 scale but has not been placed on Academic Suspension or Academic Dismissal will be admitted on Academic Probation. The WCCS transcript will be annotated to read ADMITTED ON ACADEMIC PROBATION.
  4. A transfer student who has been academically suspended or dismissed from another regionally accredited post-secondary institution may be admitted only after following the appeal process established for “native” students. Wallace Community College Selma requires that the applicant submit a written appeal to the College Admissions Appeal Committee along with all official transcripts. Transfer students admitted on appeal will be placed on Academic Probation. The WCCS transcript will be annotated to read ADMITTED UPON APPEAL – ACADEMIC PROBATION.
  5. Transfer students admitted on academic probation retain that status until 12 credit hours have been attempted at Wallace Community College Selma. If the cumulative GPA at WCCS is below 1.50 at the conclusion of 12 attempted hours, the student will be placed on academic suspension for at least one semester. More stringent guidelines may be placed on students by the College’s Admissions Appeal Committee when written appeals are approved.

General Principles for Transfer of Credit

  1. Transfer credit will be evaluated and recorded only upon receipt of all official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. A review of records by advisors, faculty, or other staff for advising purposes does not constitute an official evaluation.
  2. Coursework transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergraduate program must represent collegiate coursework relevant to the formal award with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in the institution’s own undergraduate formal award programs.
  3. A course completed at other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions with a passing grade (C minimum required in Composition courses) will be accepted for transfer as potentially creditable toward graduation requirements.
  4. A transfer grade of “D” will only be accepted when the transfer student’s cumulative transfer GPA is 2.0 or above. Regardless of the GPA, a “D” in English Composition courses will not be accepted as transfer credit. Please note that some programs/courses require minimum grades of “C”, thus a “D” will not transfer.
  5. Transfer course grades are not calculated into a student’s grade point average for any purpose, including graduation or honors consideration.
  6. Credit may be extended based on a comprehensive evaluation of demonstrated and documented competencies and previous formal training. Please refer to the section on Credit from Nontraditional Sources in this catalog for additional information.
  7. The criteria for awarding credit for work completed in foreign colleges and universities will be the same as for other institutions within the United States. Students wishing to receive transfer credit for such foreign study must provide an English translation and a detailed course-by-course evaluation report. The reports must outline recommendations for awarding specific credit for specific courses. Students must request an official course-by-course evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. For a comprehensive list of approved agencies, please visit