Placement Testing in the Alabama College System
The Alabama Board of Trustees requires that all entering students (exemptions are noted below) who enroll for more than seven (7) credit hours or 14 weekly contact hours per semester will be assessed by administration of the ACCUPLACER computerized assessment test. The scores are ONLY valid for three years. Recommended ACCUPLACER Test cut- off scores are:
Placement Cut Scores
- The following ACCUPLACER score ranges will be used for student placement in math, English, and reading.
ACCUPLACER Placement Score Chart
Placement ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension Exempt from Reading 70 and above Placement ACCUPLACER WritePlacer COM 100 Introductory Technical English I 2-3 ENG 093 3- 4 ENG 131 Applied Writing 3 - 4 ENG 101 English Composition 5 and above Placement ACCUPLACER Elementary Algebra (EA), Arithmetic (AR), or College Level Math (CLM) ACCUPLACER Branching Math MAH 101
Introductory Mathematics I
EA 20 – 39
If EA is 39 or less branch to AR MTH 098 Elementary
Algebra MTH 116
EA 40 – 59
AR 70 - 120
MTH 100 Intermediate
Introduction to Technical Math
MTH 246 Math of Finance
EA 60 – 79
If EA is greater than 70 branch to College Level Math MTH 110 Finite
Math MTH 112
CLM 50 or >
- A student must have a current picture I.D. to take the ACCUPLACER or other placement test.
- A student desiring to test at WCCS, but enroll at another institution, will be assessed a $15.00 fee.
Placement Retesting Procedure
A student who wishes to challenge placement results may retest once per academic year provided there is evidence the student has completed test preparation activities. Additional preparation includes but is not limited to academic boot camps, online pre-tests, and placement test applications. Institutions will charge a one-time fee for retesting per subject area of no more than $10. Placement test scores will be valid for three years from the date of the original or retest assessment.
Placement Testing Exemptions
Students may receive full or partial testing exemptions if they comply with the following criteria (official documentation must be provided for verification of exemptions):
- Successful completion, defined as a grade of C or better, of transferable English and/or mathematics courses from a regionally accredited college or university.
- The ACT or SAT scores within three years of high school graduation that meet the following minimums:
ACT - English score of 18
SAT - writing score of 470
ACT - mathematics score of 20
SAT - mathematics score of 47
ACT – reading score of 20
SAT - reading score of 470
- Students who are enrolled at other colleges or universities and are given permission by their parent institution to take a specific course or courses per a transient approval form (or Letter of Good Standing) may be exempted from placement testing.
Placement Testing Hours
ACCUPLACER Placement Testing is given by appointment only. A student must have an admission application and other pertinent paperwork on file before scheduling an ACCUPLACER test. Contact the Office of Student Services at (334) 876-9295 to schedule testing. ACCUPLACER Placement Testing will not be administered to any student more than two times. If you cannot use a computer please notify Student Services.