International Student: A student who is a citizen of another country. Wallace Community College Selma accepts international students seeking an F-1 international student visa who meet the academic, linguistic, and financial requirements necessary for admission into the College. Non-citizens of the United States who have been granted permanent residency status, deferred action status for childhood arrivals, or possess a valid United States Visa that permits post-secondary study as approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services are eligible to be considered for admission to the College as well. Students not seeking an F-1 visa are exempt from the financial documentation requirement. International students are required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate. For unconditional admission and to be classified as degree eligible, applicants must have on file at the institution a completed paper application for admission, the primary form of identification, and the following documents:
- Official transcripts/leaving certificates from secondary school. The secondary school requirement must document that the student has the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities, if applicable, for transfer students. In addition to the official foreign transcripts, all documents must be translated and evaluated (course-by-course for college transcripts) by a NACES approved evaluation agency. For a comprehensive list of agencies, please visit www.naces.org.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Students submitting official TOEFL scores must meet the following minimum: 500 (Paper-based test), 173 (Computer-based test), or 61 (Internet-based test). The TOEFL exam must have been completed no more than 3 years prior to the term of application.
- Students submitting official IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores must place within the following range: 5.5 – 6.0. The IELTS exam must have been completed no more than 3 years prior to the term of application.
- Exceptions to the English proficiency requirement include students who have graduated from a regionally accredited United States high school, a transfer student who has successfully completed ENG 101 with a grade of C or higher at a regionally accredited United States college or university, or a citizen of an English speaking country that has been granted an exemption to the testing requirement. Please contact the International Student Advisor for a list of countries included in the exemption.
- Signed and notarized financial sponsorship document along with official original bank statements in the sponsor’s name documenting evidence of at least $15,800 U.S. dollars or the equivalent for the academic year. The financial documentation includes the approximate cost of tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for one academic year. Official financial statements must be dated within 3 months of the time of application for admission.
- Completed health forms signed by a physician. The International Student Advisor will provide a copy of the necessary health form to applicants for completion.
Initial entry students will be issued a Form I-20 upon successful admission into the College. Transfer students who are enrolled in a United States college or university must submit a completed Transfer Clearance Form signed by the International Student Advisor. Students must be in valid F-1 status at the current college in order to be eligible for admission to WCCS.
F-1 students must submit documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance including coverage for medical repatriation and evacuation expenses. Both forms of coverage must be maintained during enrollment at Wallace Community College Selma.