College Goals & Strategies
- Promote and provide teaching and learning environments and experiences that encourage the
development of knowledge, skills, behaviors, and values for students in order for them to be
successful in the workforce or subsequent education.
- Provide associate in arts and associate in science degree programs that prepare students to transfer to baccalaureate institutions.
- Provide associate in applied science degree and certificate programs that prepare students for immediate placement into the job market.
- Identify college-level general education competencies and measure the extent to which students have attained them.
- Increase student success through a comprehensive developmental education program.
- Document Student Learning Outcomes in all degree and certificate programs and ensure that results are used for program improvement.
- Develop a Quality Enhancement Plan based on institutional assessment, focuses on learning outcomes and supports the mission of the College.
- Conduct a process of program reviews in order to ensure the College is offering up-to-date and relevant programs.
- Support quality teaching and learning through comprehensive learning resources that are easily accessible to students (includes library, writing laboratories, and computer laboratories)
- Develop and implement new instructional programs based on the needs of the service area of the College.
- Enhance student learning, expand instructional programs and deliver instructional services in keeping with the concept of the Learning-Centered College.
- Provide and promote accessible, affordable quality education and training.
- Provide access through various modes of instructional delivery including an E-Learning program to meet the needs of diverse learners.
- Promote early college entrance or enrollment
- Cultivate college attendance through ongoing programs with feeder schools of the College.
- Develop and sustain mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Expand relationship with p-12 to inspire/promote postsecondary education.
- Provide appropriate educational support services to students with disabilities.
- Expand the development of educational and administrative technology that enhance student
learning and improve college management processes and functions.
- Improve and enhance technological access to online courses and degree programs.
- Maintain, upgrade and expand technological resources to support instructional administrative systems in classrooms, laboratories, and services.
- Utilize online survey instruments to assess consumer satisfaction with services offered by the College.
- Enhance the efficiency of the College’s assessment process through utilization of Strategic Planning Online.
- Improve instructional processes through college-wide utilization of an online course management system.
- Provide appropriate technology training and resource availability for faculty, staff, and students.
- Upgrade the technological skills of all employees of the College through an ongoing professional development program.
- Provide high-quality workforce development programs that meet the demands of local employers and
enhance the economic development efforts of the state and the region.
(Workforce and economic development)
- Deliver customized training programs in response to workforce development opportunities.
- Establish agreements with corporations and businesses in the service area of the College to deliver online professional development training courses and programs.
- Develop and expand opportunities for displaced workers through credit and non-credit programs.
- Enhance services to existing business and industry.
- Expand co-op educational opportunities.
- Expand and enhance partnerships and planning with educational institutions, businesses, government agencies, and community organizations to further the mission of the college.
- Provide development and training opportunities that encourage faculty and staff to become more
proficient in the delivery of student services, instructional services, and operational
- Improve employee productivity, increase faculty and staff utilization and satisfaction with professional development and training.
- Enhance the teaching skills of the full-time and adjunct faculty by providing information and training in the best practices in teaching.
- Promote student success and development through services consistent with student needs,
interests and abilities.
(Student Focus/Services Success)
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive and coordinated process for data collection, reporting and evaluation of student satisfaction.
- Improve student utilization of and satisfaction with academic support and student services.
- Improve the retention of students through an ongoing counseling and advisement program that will make high-quality advising available to all students.
- Increase student transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
- Provide academic support services to students with academic challenges.
- Provide access to programs and services that strengthen the educational, social and economic
life of the diverse community served by the College.
- Meet the needs of diverse learners through innovative programs and delivery methods.
- Assure that educational opportunities are available without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, socio-economic status, disability or age.
- Assess special needs of diverse student populations and provide support and educational services to meet those needs.
- Provide educational opportunities that support a culture of lifelong learning.
(Community Development and Lifelong Learning)
- Provide cultural enrichment and educational opportunities to the students as well as the community through a variety of arts and humanities.
- Provide access to lifelong learning opportunities to the service area of the College.
- Partner with the Alabama Community College System and local agencies in the the service area of the College in offering adult education classes.
- Provide service-learning opportunities that expose students to a lifestyle of the community involvement and the community to lifelong learning.
- Expand and enhance the image and reputation of the College through ongoing public and
- Promote a strong college identity that reflects WCCS as a success-driven institution that demonstrates a leadership role in its service area.
- Design, produce and deliver professional communications about programs, instructional support and services to a diverse student population, the general public, and the media.
- Strengthen internal channels for internal communications and efficient flow of information throughout the institution.
- Improve efficient operations of the College.
(Efficiency of Operations)
- Ensure a stable financial program that enhances resource allocation and promotes accountability of institutional resources.
- Continue to align the annual budget of the College to the institutional effectiveness plans of each office, program, and department of the College.
- Administer policies and procedures that promote fairness, consistency and excellence in the management and administration of programs and services.
- Improve the financial position of the College through new funding efforts by aggressively pursuing new funding resources.
- Provide safe, clean and comfortable facilities, accessible to all students and the community.
- Develop and maintain a Facilities Master Plan that ensures that the College is fulfilling its mission to its students and the area it serves.
- Recruit and retain talented full-time and part-time faculty, administrators and staff.
- Maximize the use of personnel, physical and financial resources of the College.
- Develop and maintain an ongoing program of Institutional Effectiveness and research that promotes ongoing, integrated, institution-wide, research-based evaluation processes.
- Assure that the Institution maintains accreditation by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association and Schools and that individual programs acquire and maintain appropriate accreditation and certification.
- Provide opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to become involved in institutional governance.
- Maintain an ongoing program for the recruitment, retention, and graduation of students.
- Improve student retention, graduation, and transfer rates through the implementation of a completion agenda.
- Explore innovative recruitment and marketing strategies to manage enrollment efforts.
- Enhance the enrollment in online courses by developing enhancements that will attract broader credit and non-credit populations.
- Analyze and cultivate prospective students markets.